Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Metacognition: Jane Eyre

Mr. Allen, you were right. This book was lengthy and didn't have an action packed plot line, but I got through it. There were 3 things I had happen to me or I did while reading this book. 1, I tried to not skim the pages. 2, I tried to put my frame of mind in a 19th century women. 3, soak up the conversations we had in class.

This book was loooonnngggg. It had details and details about things I wouldn't normally care about in a book. In 8th grade, I read the book Pride and Prejudice and it had the same feel. There were details about the path she took or the room she was in and to be honest, I just did not care to hear about that at all. Those details had very little direct impact to the plot and I'm an impatient person, but for some reason, I got through passages without skimming the pages. So...that's one I tried to think about.

Second, I tried to make myself a person, as Taylor mentioned, would be ok in the kitchen. I like cooking, and I like saying the word "sammich" but I'm not going to just make you one. Reading this book made it difficult for me not to just annotate the page saying..."omg Jane, just kick him in the shin with your Uggs cuz Uggs happen to be a great weapon." I had to remember that not all places and times are what we have today. In Jane's time, she would be ok with submitting-to a degree-and that was that.

Thirdly, I realized when I totally don't understand the book while reading it, the class discussions help a lot. At some points I'm very narrow minded and can not get out of my one way of thinking. The discussions made me put my views on the drawing board and mold them to something more radical or just more logical.

Overall, Jane Eyre wasn't the worst one this year, it was a close second to HoD though. I like chick flick stories and all, but I'd rather watch the Bourne Ultimatum or any Harrison Ford movie, that's just who I am...but I got through it. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

EMAIL ME!